Have you ever looked at a gravestone? On it you will find the date a person was born - and the date that person died. In between is a dash. This small symbol signifies a persons whole existence. When it comes time for my dash to be chipped in, I want to know I lived a full and wondrous life.

Jan 18, 2011

I need a break!

I think I have hit the perfect spot - at the moment anyway - with my band. I seem to be able to eat a wide variety of foods - little crackers with chunks of salami and Camembert being my favourite food right now (and yes, I know its loaded with fat  .. oops) but well, it doesn't really matter what I eat - I seem to be able to get most of it down (except for chicken without sauce - that doesn't want to play ball.) 


I hopped on the scale this morning and showed another loss - I am slowly but surely and without much effort - creeping towards the 70 kilo mark (154 pounds.) I'm not saying I AM 70 kilos but I'm only a few pounds off that so I feel pretty good right now. Funnily enough, I feel like I'm eating too much and doing this kitchen renovation (yes still going..sigh) I am working fairly hard, so I seem to be burning off the calories. Can't complain about that. I said to my husband that after the kitchen renovation I"M going to need renovating. I've lost all my beautiful nails and I feel sloppy. He calls it being in  renovation mode (truthfully he doesn't look much better - he wears dust and paint stained jeans every day all day lol)  I call it feeling like crap. I throw myself in the shower not bothering to dry my hair - just letting it curl its own way. I haven't worn a scrap of makeup or dressed nicely in weeks and I'm hating it!. 


This kitchen reno is taking a lot of hours. We are still working 11 - 12 hour days - waking each morning and tackling new projects. We have almost finished one side of the kitchen - the side where most of the work was involved. Hold ups with electrics etc are driving me nuts. But we are starting to make headway now.. it's all starting to come together. 


When MOTH (Man of the House) said covering the open brickwork (so dated - yuck) with plasterboard would be 'easy' I didn't realise it would also take forever! We have been going for over two weeks now without a break - no socialising or anything - just heads down, bums up - going all day with a few mini breaks in between. Trying to cook without a stove and a working microwave oven (needs to be hooked up) is proving to be a challenge. I am using the bbq a lot - and throwing salads together with the odd take away meal thrown in. I can't WAIT for this monkey on our backs to be finished. I'm sure it will be amazing in the end but what a horrible job getting there. I am sick of the sight of it to be honest.


 MOTH says I need a break - go out and have a coffee with a girlfriend but I am obsessing over getting this job finished as he might be called into start work again any day and I don't want the darn thing sitting there two thirds finished. We ordered all the floor and splash-back tiles yesterday so they should be here within the week. Getting the colour co-ordination for it all was trickier than I thought. I imagined picking the floor tiles would be hard. It wasn't. We decided on them fairly quickly. It was me dithering (something I'm not usually like) about what tile to put on the splashback that took several trips to the various tile centres. MOTH and I finally found a gorgeous chocolate colour that we both liked. The tiles weren't a massive expense but the border ones I found were lol. We saved money on the flooring and took it up with the border ones. I can't wait until the cabinets go in and the lovely bamboo counter tops are on too. They are going to take a week to cure (argh!!) so it will be fun trying to co-ordinate getting them cut and on and not using the space to put all the crap on. Oh, well.


Right. Better get back to work. Just wanted to check in and let you guys know what was going on here in my part of the world. I haven't managed to make time yet to read any blogs (ack!!) but as soon as I'm able, I will catch up. 


Love you all
Cara xxx

14 comments:

  1. Oh Cara.. I have been thinking about you and hoping you were safe from all of those floods.. The renovation job sounds huge.. but think how wonderful it will be when complete.. you can step back and look at the wonderful accomplishments. Its too bad these types of things dont go as quick as they do on TV.. My husband always reminds me that TV has a crew behind them..
    Sounds like your band is just perfect and nice job inching towards your goal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aghh I completely get that...even the crackers with salami! (my personal favourite by the way).

    I still have a half finished bathroom - it's been three years. And yes expensive highlight tiles ($26 each and only 2 cm wide)!. I am hoping this year will be the year we finish it - we managed to do the bedroom and the hallway in between but the bathroom just seems to be too much for us. We had to take the tiles off because the taps leaked...and so we never finished it and moved onto easier projects.

    Luckily our kitchen was new when we moved in five years ago so I think I can get a couple more years out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update and I can just imagine how beautiful your kitchen will be after all this sweat equity you're both putting into it! I can't wait to see pictures. I'm sure you're exhausted - and sometimes a small break away can re-energize you and you'll get more done in less time b/c you're recharged. I also understand wanting to just be finished with it. Can't wait to see the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly, Cara! What a huge job. Pretty sure if my husband and I tried to renovate our kitchen together we'd end up divorced or dead. So GO YOU on that. And on the weight loss.

    Before you know it, you'll be rocking some polished new nails and gorgeous hair in your new kitchen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara - take a look at this. It's what you say about your blog (or perhaps you were inspired by it??)
    http://rollercoasterdieting.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-will-you-spend-your-dash.html
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I can't believe you are doing your own kitchen renovation! That is some hard work! Good for you. And how about that number on the scale! Skinny! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of work but oh so worth it in the end! Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you're doing well -- but you are a skinny Oz be-atch, sorry, sad but true! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see pics of the finished project! Hang in there, kiddo - it will all be well worth it in the end! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for pix!

    I've been thinking about you too and hoping you hadn't been flooded. Glad you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Cara, you've done FANTASTIC!!!! I should be where you are, but sadly I was an idiot. I'm glad to know others out there are succeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try to think of that beautiful kitchen you'll have soon. You need a nice warm bath and glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know your pain and it will be over soon and then you can stare and the beautiful space you have created. I cannot wait to see the pics!

    I'm on a weight up swing and not happing with my restrictions (not sure if it is too tight or too lose or its my head!). I am a tad envious of your downward movement! :) and your summer!!!!

    xxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can understand that! Once I start a project... I am hard pressed to stop for ANYTHING! Hang in there... this WILL end... eventually! ; )

    ReplyDelete

Best year of my life - 42.3 kilos gone forever