You know, there is always a lot of talk about what we should or shouldn't be eating and why/how we PB now we have a lap-band. There are a few of us on here who go by the 'no diet' theory. My own theory has always been I have done 'dieting shit' in my 'past' life... and now I have a band, I'm never doing it again. I haven't lost this weight of mine through counting calories, or weighing food or measuring sugars and fats and/or good or bad carbs. The only time I tracked my food was when I was well and truly stuck on the scale at the same weight for weeks and I needed to see if I was eating the right amount of calories. I wasn't but after some great advice from you girls and guys, I upped them and down went the scale again. I have lost this weight primarily though sticking with my portion sizes and never veering away from that. I still eat 'crap' sometimes but now it's a small amount of it and still, I lose weight. Here's what backs up my theory behind it.......
I was going through this book I bought before I was banded. It's called The Lap-Band Solution. A Partnership for Weight Loss. It's written by PAUL O'Brien MD - a world leader in weight loss research and Lap-Band surgery. Inside it has some words of advice that I thought were rather timely considering there is some confusion out there about the kinds and how much food we should/shouldn't be eating and also some about PB'ing.
Hundreds of books have been written by people giving you their 'secret' for losing weight. In general, they talk about this type of food versus that type of food, this way of eating versus that way of eating. They are missing the point. The key to losing weight is to eat less. The volume of food is far more important than the content of the food. The body can turn almost any food into whatever it wants. Don't get lost in the detail of the type of food; focus principally on the volume of food. (This last sentence is the one I like most: type/versus volume. It's what I adhere to.)
We have no way of beating the laws of nature, and one of the laws of nature - the Law of Conservation of Energy - states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. If you take in more energy (calories) than you use up, it will be made into fat, the energy store of the body. If you take in less energy than you use up, the body will use up some of its stored fat. To lose weight, you MUST reduce your energy intake or increase your energy output or, preferably do both.
So no great secret there: basically he's telling us what we already know. Take in less food, move around more and you will lose weight. BUT I like this bit... don't get lost in the detail of the type of food you eat. I mean let's face it. If our band is in a good place and this works for even those with only some restriction, we have already cut our portions down to a tiny amount compared to what we used to eat. For myself: I don't worry about good /bad/white carbs. No matter what carbs I'm taking in.. I can guarantee that it's a fifth or less of what I used to eat. And I ate a LOT of carbs in the old days. Especially pasta. Just try to relax your whole approach a bit is what he's trying to tell us, I think.
The 2nd point which resonated with me was this. It's about why we PB.
It is important to realise that there is almost no space left above the band for the storage of food.
What you have is a 'virtual' stomach rather than an actual stomach. As you eat, space for the the food is created by stretching the small stomach that is there and the esophagus above it. We are wanting to avoid too much stretching or too rapid stretching. If you eat a meal too quickly or with too big a volume, you will stretch that area more than we like. If you do it repeatedly, three times a day for years, you will develop a pouch ABOVE the band which does not empty properly. Reflux of the food into the back of the throat, heartburn and vomiting can follow and we may need to revise the position of the band. This is why we constantly stress the need to eat slowly and eat a small volume of food.
So there you have it. Most of us know all this by now, but seeing it again in black and white is affirmation about weight loss. Eat less, take small bites and take it even slower no matter what we're eating and we will win this weight loss game. We just have to. The laws of nature tell us so.
Cara xx
The beginning of fatherhood
10 months ago





Cara, I am jumping on a plane and flying to Australia so I can KISS YOU! I love this post! I am so happy to read this and have my thoughts validated - no need to diet, just make sure you eat a bit less, and voila - it'll happen.
ReplyDeleteSmooches!!!!
Thanks for the info - it makes a lot sense.
ReplyDeleteI may just have to go buy that book! I know my doctor suggests it to.
Have a great day :-)
Nice quotes. I sometimes feel that I am alone in the non-dieting camp too. I am totally with you on the been there done that not going to again thing.
ReplyDeleteTina
I agree! I too don't ever want to diet again!! I am trying to just cut my portion sizes down and it will come off! Maybe not as fast as others, but that is ok, so long as it comes off!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
Nice post! I love the though process here and as a new bander I definitely don't want to "diet." I can tell already that it is going to be portion control that will lead the way.
ReplyDeleteI read that post front to back... i go back to it every once in awhile to get back on track... Great post..
ReplyDeleteI love this book.. Banded 9 days now... Thanks for sharing the info to people who haven't bought that book!
ReplyDeleteThose quotes are brilliant! It's also good to reinforce why we eat slowly and what happens if we don't! I've heard a couple of people on a band blog I follow who've burped up old food from quite some time ago which was sitting in their pouch...uuurrrggghhh! It must be caused by the stretching of the pouch and it not emptying properly anymore! Very worrying. I've been eating too fast recently and I'm going to really slow right down and take much smaller bites now I've read this. There's more to fear than getting stuck it would seem. Thanks for a great post. xx
ReplyDeleteI just ordered that book from ebay...yeah! xx
ReplyDeleteIt really is a great book - I bought it before I was banded. Thanks for reminding me to get it out every now and then.
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT! I have this book (and every other banding book, LOL) and the advice is excellent.
ReplyDeleteBTW, this is the same doc who recommends a glass of wine (preferably Australian Shiraz, I believe) with dinner - he says they did studies and figured out that it does not hurt your weight loss at all and might even help! Love it.
I like that last section about the stretching bit. One of the things that I have never seen are studies done in regards to the lapband. I like to know the specific hows and whys of things. I am sure a few must exist bc the damn thing was approved for use. I might ask my doc if he has any in medical journals etc.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing buttercup!
Thanks Cara! This was very informative.
ReplyDeleteCara~ You're the best! Always posting something profound when I need it the most. Love ya! HUGS
ReplyDeleteGreat post with great reminders we all need!
ReplyDeleteYUP. I love this. Seriously... it's a simple concept. Eat less, and you'll lose weight? Who knew???
ReplyDeleteAnd, I'm with you... I'm not so hung up on types of food, or calories and what not... unless I'm plateauing... and then it's worth a few minutes of my time. Other than that, I let the band help me eat less food- and I lose weight! Just like magic.
I love this post. I love this philosophy. My bariatric center was started by Paul O'Brien so all the patients there are given this book at their intitial consult. I read it from start to finish the night they gave it to me. It's a great book! It's ironic that my surgeon, who works for Dr. O'Brien, basically, does not preach this approach but rather skimp skimp skimp and never ever ever eat carbs. He has told me, on the two occasions that I've met my surgeon personally, that he is still trying to get Dr. O'Brien to endorse his approach. I hope Dr. O'Brien never does. Dr. O'Brien has had more successful patients than any other surgeon, as far as I am concerned - given that he created the band and has studied it to no end!
ReplyDeleteIt's a lot for a newbie to take in, not being able to play with it and see how it works. I understand the theory and the ideas behind it but I need to see it in action. I have this idea that I don't want to get to such tight restriction that I can't eat. But I can't know that tight restriction doesn't happen sooner than I think until I get there. Does that make sense? I told you last week I am reading your blog and as of yesterday, I have finally moved into Feb's blogs. You had a span last Dec, I believe, where you were always hungry and yet couldn't eat a bite without pb'ing. I wish someone or something could explain how that happened. Cause on one hand, were you too tight - i.e., what was going on with the band? But on the other hand, were you just eating too fast? It all resolved by getting another fill, actually. It's odd. I want get myself into the ranks of the banded and start learning this all for myself instead of understanding it vicariously through others.
Dang, I think I've written an entire blog here. Thanks for letting me rant! Great post!!!!
Thanks so much for this post! You're right..things we've memorized but it's always good to have a reminder written out for you.
ReplyDeleteLD-I think I want to take a stab at explaining how you can be too tight and still be hungry.
ReplyDeleteSo, the nerve endings that signal our brain that we are full are located at the very top of our stomach (for the most part). That is one of the reasons those of us with the band feel full quicker with less food...bc the little amount we do it, sits in our little pouch...at the top of the stomach...and triggers the nerves to tell our brain we are full.
If we are too tight and PB everything we eat, then we arent keeping any food in that little pouch and thus are stimulating the nerves. And THEN when we are too tight we eat sliders that go right through and again...not stimulating those nerves and our brains.
How does that sound?
Plausible I think
Loved this post- I hadn't been able to find any real mechanics on stretching and have been concerned about it since I can still eat soooo much. This is good info. Thanks Cara, it's REALLY appreciated.
ReplyDelete:-)
yeay to nondieting!
Thank you for this post. I am one of the oddballs here that do weigh, measure & journal my food - it just keeps me in control. I also gobble my food very quickly - it worries me that I can't slow down. 7cc's in my band & I feel nothing - kind of scary for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks girls - all great responses to the post - glad it helped some if you needed it. I know you've all done that for me also in one way or another in time gone by.
ReplyDeleteAnd Amy? That sounds totally plausible about how you can be too tight and yet still be hungry. Its what I would have thought also. x
Holy goodness, how did I miss this post!!!????
ReplyDeleteI love it! Thank you SO MUCH Cara. I'm printing this and putting in my WL binder so I can read and re-read it. This explains a lot of what I have been questioning.
Wow. I'm way down at the bottom again for comments. I can't post at work so have to come back when I get home. Love the post. I made it one of my memorable posts so I can come back in the future and re-read it. It makes so much sense. My fav is the No more dieting. Still trying to get that one straight.
ReplyDeleteI have the same book (my clinic hands it out) and that was where I found that wine is ok. BTW I love your new blog page. Seems like a lot of us are spring cleaning our pages.
Hey there-- just a note on how I hold the camera steady. I have no idea how I'm doing it. I just hold my phone and voila!
ReplyDeleteTake care.. xo DL
I needed to read this today!! I have the book....I am going to pull it out and have another read. Thanks for your comments today Cara....I appreciate it:)
ReplyDelete