Have you ever looked at a gravestone? On it you will find the date a person was born - and the date that person died. In between is a dash. This small symbol signifies a persons whole existence. When it comes time for my dash to be chipped in, I want to know I lived a full and wondrous life.

Jul 6, 2010

Indelible footprints lead to reinvention...

"How many times do you have to be told you are beautiful before you start to believe it?"


These words were uttered by MOTH (Man of the House) to me just the other day and it's something all us women should start listening to.... because we are! I don't know what I was doing... I think getting ready to go out somewhere and was fussing over whether I looked ok or not. Something I do often now. In the old days I would throw stuff on, whack on the makeup and was good to go. Nowadays I match things. Makeup to whatever I'm wearing, bag, shoes (or boots) and colour co-ordinate. These are the things that give me pleasure. Just because I now can. 


The same goes for people telling me I'm 'skinny'. This happened to me at work this morning: and it's not the first time. A clients daughter was giggling because I kept having to hitch up my jeans. The buggers just won't stay put on my hips. These are my size 14's (size 10 American) jeans. I mentioned I would have to start wearing a belt and she said: "Ehhh, it's 'cos you're skinny." (She's a beautiful, slightly round Portuguese lady.) 


I continue to have these huh? moments 


See, I don't actually believe I am skinny. I think I am 'normal' sized now. The kind of normal that doesn't shy away from going into a boutique or chain store and buying a size clothing that makes me want to hide the tag from the girl/guy running it through the scanner. I am now solidly into size 8's and 10's USA with both my top and bottom half wearing the same size - no need to mix-n match anymore. I'm the kind of 'normal' that can eat in public (even bad stuff) and not be embarrassed at what people are thinking.  If I do see them looking at me eating, it's because they probably see me as someone who has a control over food. They would be half right. I do now for the most part. 


Why am I talking about all this now? It's because this morning while driving in my car doing my rounds, I had an epiphany. I am eating well most days. My weight has stabilised at 165 pounds - and I feel really comfortable here. I know I have 1.5 kilos (or 3.3 pounds) left to lose from the goal I set myself but I really don't care if I lose it or not. I have set myself a new goal. Right where I am now. I have lost over 38 kilos (84 pounds), my BMI is in the healthy range, I have not had a fill in four months and am in a good place with my band. I have given myself a new lease on life.


Angie from http://angieinrepair.blogspot.com/ wrote about the exact same thing this morning on her blog. She mentioned - just like me - she was happy at the weight she is at. I am right there with her. 

 It's a great feeling to  have achieved what I have achieved. That is to feel comfortable in my own skin for the first time in forever. And to feel comfortable leaves an indelible impression on my mind. I may or may not lose these last 3 pounds... if I do.. all well and good, if I don't, too bad. I won't be crying over it. I will continue to have good days where I eat brilliantly, and those where I don't. I will continue to keep up my walking and to move around non-stop. These are the things I can control and I think they are now set in my mind for good. 

I interrupted MOTH at work at his desk about an hour ago. "I am happy right here. Right here at this weight. I'm done!  I don't think I need to lose any more." He looked right back at me at me said quietly, "Good. You are at a perfect weight right now. I'm relieved you're stopping. Now it's time to maintain." 

I do believe he's right. I was nervous about saying the words out loud - it felt a little melodramatic. But in hindsight it has cemented what has been running through my mind for the last month. I have done it. I really have. I have finally reached a weight where I feel happy and good about myself. I want to cry tears of happiness.



Lotsa love
Cara xxxx

27 comments:

  1. Oh,it must be so great to have that feeling of been content with where you are at. I'm glad you got there. I think the goal weight is a moving target - we all have aspirational goals, but our bodies should tell us where they are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow cara - I am so proud of you, for what that is worth! In the beginning I was so driven by a number. Now I am much more driven by how I am feeling, less by the number on the scale. I can't wait to get to that point of maintaining. I have work to so still, probably 20-25 pounds or so, and I know it will be slower. But, I also know I can do it where I never thought I could before. Thanks for continuing to inspire!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so happy for you. Your at goal and you didn't even know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! What a huge step and awesome achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful and continue to be an inspiration to me! You sound very confident and comfortable with your decision. You will do great at maintaining...actually, you already are maintaining, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You deserve it Cara, I'm so happy for you. It makes me feel wistful, I admit, but it means we can all get there if we try. Thank you.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great place to be! and such a supportive husband! you are beautiful Cara xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You bring up so many good points. I have such an issue with acepting compliments, becasue for so long I know that people were just trying to be polite. I wonder at what point will I ever be able to believe people when they say nice things about me, without thinking they are lying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Cara! Your hubby is right: it's time to maintain and I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like your MOTH is a smart & lovely man :-) lucky girl!!
    congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I have thought about those feelings and thoughts but am so far removed that it doesn't feel possible. Thank you for the inspiration... I need to mull over your words a little more... you have me thinking... hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic blog! Loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah!!! It is so great that you are happy with where you are! I can't wait to get there and seeing people who are happy is a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT POST!!! Congratulations Cara on reaching goal...where you're happy!!! What a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome Post! Thank you! I am at the beginning of my journey (banded 5/10) and have lost 25 pounds. Some people are starting to notice but I haven't noticed any big changes so I just shrug off their comments about me looking thinner. I need to just say Thank you and mean it! We are all way too hard on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Cara, glad you have reached this point. I bet it is a fantastic feeling! My husband is forever telling me how beautiful I am. I hope one day I can believe him. I think our aversion to believing we're beautiful is part of the fall of mankind. It must have been part of Eve's punishment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must feel absolutely wonderful to be at a weight that you are comfortable with and LIKE! Congrats on the realization.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :)...I can totally relate to a lot of what you have said. especially the getting dressed part :)..it is so fun to match now. I don't even know what the deal was before. I have put it down to being to tired to bother but I'm not sure it was that.

    Oh and the eating out without worrying and the not hiding the size tags...it is funny how much the little things mean so much eh?

    The compliments are probably the hardest thing to take on board-but then I know plenty of skinny their whole lives people that can't deal with them either.

    So what do you have going on in your Winter garden? I'm finally bursting forth with vegetables and flowers here. The rain was a killer last month but today it is supposed to be 90 degrees F.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here is the link to the SOB story you asked for-http://superstarsoftheband.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So it is possible! Now you know all of us still in losing mode will be watching you because we want to know what it is like to be in your world!!! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have yet to set a final goal because I have read on several occasions people changing their mind. They seem to realize that they are actually very comfortable at a weight a little higher than they original goal. I read Angie's post this morning and it makes so much sense.

    I do the same thing when it comes to getting ready now. My husband can sometimes get irritated by this because in his eyes it is me not have self confidence. In my eyes, I am just making sure that I look cute! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to cry right there with ya Dash...I will be so happy when I get to the point where I am just happy with me. I can't even take a compliment nor can I accept it when someone says I am a good size. I just dont see it...I dont feel it...but i'm sure it must be an awesome feeling!!! Then again...I dont know if I will ever be happy with myself. Everytime I get to a goal it is never enough!

    I'm very happy for you and I want the feeling that you have! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dashie von Dashenstein, :) you completely nailed it with that post! I feel just how you are feeling -- that overwhelming sensation of gratefulness that could bring me to tears just from thinking of it. This morning, I ran up the escalator on my way to work (as I do these days) and was thinking how great it is to be in shape and to feel good in my own skin.

    I also thought about having an ice cream cone in the airport yesterday (whereas I would have been too shamed by my fat before to do that). I didn't have it though. . long line + boarding flight. But I know what you mean about feeling OK about eating in public.

    What a great post. And, take it from me and all of us on here -- you are beautiful, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a wonderful place to be. Congrats Cara!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so happy for you; this is such beautiful post. This is what every woman on this journey wants--to be content with their weight!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful post... Wonderful! You are so inspiring! I am a new follower... *Maria*-from "This one time at Band Camp..." Check out my blog at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Best year of my life - 42.3 kilos gone forever